TB VS: NetApp E2800 FW 08.30.40 or 11.50.R1 can no longer be used. NetApp informs about update!
General Note:Newer NetApp controller firmware might be approved and qualified by BOSCH. This article only refers to a introduction in time of a 11.50 firmware generation.
(e.g. status 08/2020 there is an 11.60.2 qualified by BOSCH)
Details can always be found at the BOSCH product catalogue:
Potential for Data Inconsistency Issues on E-Series Storage Systems
With the controller firmware 11.50.1 and newer version an issues are fixed by NetApp, which enforce an immediate update of all E2800 iSCSI Storage Systems (their controllers). In July 2019 BOSCH announced the need to update from all former NetApp controller firmware 08.30.40.00 to newer versions. These newer versions should be certified and approved by BOSCH.
In 2019 there was also an announcement by NetApp. All customers owning a NetApp storage system with valid warranty agreement and registered unit do have access to the public announcemnt of NetApp. This was announced by NetApp on their support websites (see https://mysupport.netapp.com/).
31st of January 2018
7th of May 2019
20th of September 2019
|newer NetApp firmware versions:|
no longer allowed for usage
no longer allowed for usage
no longer allowed for usage
|BOSCH qualifies and approves new global NetAp frmware vversions for E2800 controllers. Please always use the latest approved NetApp global firmware where possible|
Products that were affected:
Please follow our BOSCH Knowledge Base and monitor for updates at this article for important news.
The BOSCH submodel ID 356 ensures that the NetApp system is optimized for 24/7 video recording.
Example product variants:
- DSA-N2E8X4-12AT Base unit 12x4TB High-performance and high-capacity storage system base unit with iSCSI disk arrays, single controller. DSA E2800, 12 x 4 TB HDD, Order number DSA-N2E8X4-12A
- DSA-N2C8X4-12AT Dual controller unit 12x4TB High-performance and high-capacity storage system base unit with iSCSI disk arrays, dual controller. DSA E2800, 12 x 4 TB HDD, Order number DSA-N2C8X4-12AT
- Note: There are other models with various HDD capacity (e.g. 8TB harddrives and larger) available
For more details visit the BOSCH product website
Summary of issue
NetApp® has become aware of issues that could occur when an E-Series controller reboots at certain points during the evacuation of data from a drive that is performed as part of the sequence when a drive is being failed by the controller. As a result, there is a small possibility of data inconsistency on controllers running certain versions of E-Series SANtricity® OS controller software.
First announced in 06/2019: The issues are possible on E-Series controllers running 8.30, 8.40, 11.30, 11.40, and 11.50 versions of E-Series SANtricity OS controller software. The overall probability of these issues occurring is very low, but RAID 1 volumes have a higher probability of encountering the issues than other RAID levels or NetApp Dynamic Disk Pools. These issues do not affect traditional RAID volume groups that have no global hot spare drives because drive evacuation does not occur in this configuration. For information about fixes in these releases, view the readme notes for each revision release.
No workaround available. Controller Firmware update is needed.
HDD Firmware update is not in relation to the descdribed issue here, but it is in general recommended to install the latest offered HDD firmware that is recommended by BOSCH and NetApp.
The same applies for HDD firmware.
Solution: Update the NetApp Controller Firmware
Upgrade E-Series SANtricity OS controller software to the latest applicable revision release for each platform as soon as possible. Please reach out to your local BOSCH technical team and BOSCH BT-SC/ETP-MKP team to ensure that the relevant NetApp Firmware has been approved to be usable for 24/7 video recording and replay use case. Even the global NetApp Firmware can be installed on
BOSCH submodel ID 356
Where to get the Controller Firmware
- All customers with a full NetApp NOW support account and valid warranty on their system can download the controller firmware by using the own NetApp user account. The verison offered at the NetApp NOW platform should be certified and allowed by BOSCH for video use cases.
See also: https://community.boschsecurity.com/t5/Security-Video/TB-VS-date-2020-04-22-New-Firmware-11-50-3R1P3...
- In caase the download option is not offered to one of our customers, we kindly ask to make sure that the unit is registered on the company and that the NetApp NOW account belongs to the company that has registered the unit. In all other cases, please recout out to the BOSCH Support organisation or local Bosch Technical Support desk.
- A NetApp SANtricity firmware / controller firmware package for E2800 model can be downloaded from the NetApp NOW website.
Revisions can be found at https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software/
See also: https://mysupport.netapp.com/products/web/ECMLP2854621.html
Additional information is available at NetApp and accessible after user registration.
First go to https://mysupport.netapp.com/ to register. Product Release Notes from NetApp:
NetApp Support Bulletin, please view the following URL:
(As the URL can change any time by NetApp, search for the KB id 1086731)
Steps to update
The E-Series SANtricity® OS package includes data for simplex controller and duplex controller systems and the firmware file itself.
- NVSRAM File for for duplex.
- NVSRAM file for simplex
- and the controller firmware
Download the latest SANtricity OS software files from the NetApp Support Site to your management client.
From SANtricity System Manager, select Support > Upgrade Center.
In the area labeled “SANtricity OS Software upgrade,” click NetApp Support.
On the NetApp Support Site, click the Downloads tab, and then select Software.
Locate E-Series/EF-Series SANtricity OS (Controller Firmware).
For the platform, select E2800, and click Go!
Select the version of SANtricity OS (Controller Firmware) you want to install, and click
View & Download.
Follow the online instructions to complete the file download.